Thursday

a Vintage Altered Book

Photobucket

I started this project some weeks ago.
This notebook was inspired by these:
http://lovelydesign.blogspot.com/2010/07/edition-of-books.html
I took the page block out of one of my salvaged vintage books and made a new one, with lots of interesting papers.

Photobucket
Two points on bookbinding that I've learned:
* Use a flexible glue--and enough glue, one my first books had a problem with splitting along the spine when the page block didn't have enough glue
* It's extremely important to be a perfectionist with measurements. I ran into trouble with pages falling out due to misalignment.

Photobucket

I added lots of pockets and envelopes. The green floral is made from some special vintage paper I've been hoarding.
I used some of my trims from Tinsel Trading co. and thick twine to form bookmarks.

Photobucket
Patterned papers designed by moi. There are cardstock pocket/pages spaced throughout.

Photobucket

I added a bunch of vellum pages too. Esp. vintage wallpaper patterns and vintage maps.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have been saving some salvaged vintage childrens encyclopedias for use in mixed media projects. I used a few of those pages and some vintage bookplate-pages.

Photobucket

And...throughout the book I distributed a bunch of labels, some vintage and some handmade.

So now I have finally finished this book, made for dreaming and scheming and sketching.

10 comments:

  1. oh woman this turned out fabulous!!! i've always wanted to make one of these too but i get exhausted just thinking about it. great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! ;)
    I broke it down into a lot of steps, and took more than a month to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is BEAUTIFUL! I can't imagine all the work this took. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you!! :)
    It was a learning experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It`s a piece of art.. looks beautiful :) congrats!!
    I`m sure it felt great to finish this project!!
    and I`m also amazed by your new flowers.. how creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!!!

    Also, did you ever pick a winner for the bunting and cupcake flag contest? I hope I won! :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are a genius. love this!

    ReplyDelete